Saturday, May 31, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past

I just watched X-Men: Days of Future Past!  Read on for some spoiler-filled reaction gifs:

First, I had to watch X-Men: First Class to catch up on my X-Men movie continuity.
Nooooot my favorite X-Men movie.  I didn't even feel like making reaction comics for it.  I guess some of the 60s outfits were cool, when people weren't in lingerie. 

BUT, I did really enjoy this new film.  It started off with a lot of fan service / nostalgia--seeing some familiar actors/characters and trying to guess who was who ("OMG is that Blink??!").  You guys, seeing Colossus and Kitty Pride together...Astonishing feels. :,)
Quicksilver stole the show.  He was the most fun character by far, and his slow-motion scene to Jim Croce's Time In A Bottle was the highlight of the movie.  That was the beginning of my giggles and they were pretty constant for the rest of the movie.

Of course I also loved Jenniver Lawrence's Mystique, and how much of a part she played in the plot.  I really liked the moment where Charles realizes he has to trust her and let her make her own decisions.

It was really funny watching ANOTHER Marvel movie in Paris this year and seeing a French element in the film.  Very meta.
And of course Fassbender is super fun as Magneto.  His shrug take-off cracked me up and I had to clamp both hands over my mouth in the theater.  And when he touches down in the stadium and just turns and walks away from the groundskeeper?!?  I died.  In the good way.
The best and worst thing about the X-Men universe is the chaos of the timeline and its many revisions.  It can get confusing, and too many versions makes it hard to care about any one version.  BUT I loved how we got to basically write over X-Men: Last Stand and see the happy, shiny version of the future where all our favorite characters are together and happy.  It makes me more excited about the upcoming movie X-Men: Apocalypse.  Although, frankly, I would be happy with things ending the way they did in this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment